Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My first Tourney recapped

Click to Expand and Collapse


So, when I finally managed to get to Grey Wolf / Red Bear tourney, with almost 3 games played before..

Had great success really (revised to shared 2nd place, best axis out of 18 , sorry the bragging but can't help it...) The list was this:
2 pzfaust
1 schreck 
2 stummels 
2 full fj platoons with pzfaust 
1 short stummel 
1 lg40 plat with knacker 
1 fj at platoon 3 pak40s 
1 heavy tank plat 2 :) tiger IIs 
1 fj aa plat 3 flak38s 
7/8 platoons 1780 points

I took a calculated risk about not meeting any infantry horde. Full FJ platoons can really support the King tigers well.


   Game 1  PINCER  against Guards Tankovy,

Had very nice opponent trekkeri.  His list was about this.

 2 big 9 platoons of t34/85
 3 Is2s
 3 ba64 or similar recon.              


There was lot of terrain, I had the fjs near, but not on the objectives, King's in middle and paks in ambush. 

Fearing the big guns, the tankovy moved behind houses the is2s on another side, 

One kt sniped one is and it bailed out and stayed there for 4 rounds... 


The another t34 platoon moved to the obj where the Kts where not, 

I sprang the ambush and killed 2 of the recon cars, the Kts removed t34s and used the st to move back


The first t34 platoon attacked the paks but bad luck for him, whizzed, 

The paks bailed/killed 4-5 tanks, the Kts 1, failed morale and bye the 1st tankovy company, 
the fj platoon moved towards the buildings at the middle, 

The 2nd tankovy started the dangerous mice and cats game, the is2s moved towards the other fj, 


After Few rounds of dodging and killing, the fjs killed the last recon with schreck , the is2s managed to blog in assault to be killed by the fjs, the t34s scored one kt and kg of 2 stummels, I almost lost a fj platoon due DF from t34s, as we were running out of time and he had only 3 t34s plus 1 is2 far away, he had no chance so that's for is, my first ever proper game of fow, first in tourney, and 6-1 to fj ! 

Game 2 was fighting withdrawal against forward detachment on snow table with blizzard (night attack, forests needing re-rolls for succesfully bogs, slow movement everywhere, really painful. 

My opponent had lim sturmovics , decoy platoon with tiger and pziv, 5 t34/85s w tank riding infantry, 4 kv-85s, infantry with german halftracks and 2 katjushas, I made quite a Few mistakes here, starting with deployment of objectives , I put mine obj to the woods in middle, not to the side where the opponent put his, I had to put mine fj platoons to both sides, Kts to the middle (partly inside woods, second mistake), the aa covering them, lgs with the right flank platoon, first turn the t34s made the 16" move with the decoys tanks, dismounted the infantry next turn, and where close. 

The next night turns showed the decoy platoon destroyed by kt, the dawn had 1 t34 destroyed, next Few turns I had to move the left flank fjs to help the middle, while the Kvs moved to attack the right flank, pak40s ambush plus kt destroyed the t-34 platoon, flak plus the another kt killed the halftrack platoon, kt plus 1 SMg DF was enough to repel the assault in forest, 7 shots 5 hits, ;) , Kvs assaulted the fjs in right flank and failed the counter assault, failed the pinning so no assault (mistake 3, the 2ic could have contested) Kvs take object game ovet 3-4... I lost one fj platoon to morale on this one, and moved my mortars to defend the left flank for 2 halftracks that were not in play.... One kt died in the middle when bogged down.



Game 3 Surrounded against Soviet Heavy SP artillery, Earnest being the opponent, very well painted force with big barreled nasties and that blasted sturmovik... 

IIRC he had 

HQ IS-2 

3 IS-2 w .50cals and those Ghost riders 

3 ISU-122 plus Rat ISU 122 

3 ISU-152s 

Platoon of scouts in a truck 

The table was like something out of a fairy tale, german village surrounded by hills and flanked by forests one at each side. I had my KTs at Immediate Ambush and filled the woods with infantry :) Both objectives could be contested from inside of the woods... 

I had my flak and mortars just in the middle, staying in fields for concealment and laying low. 


Image

KTs are north and south of the southern forest. 

This was hard fight to the sovs, I had my FJs inside the forests, and he really did not have time to dig mine troops before he could kill my big cats, so Cats and Mice plus some Sturmovik fun, with KT dead, the bloody planes came every turn till turn 3... My 2iC command scored one ISU-122 assaulting solo from cover. 

In the end (we ran out of time)he managed to assault and kill my mortars, then started the assault thing with the ghost riders :) the Rat and his cronies tried to get the last KT but failed and the FJ assaulted and took them out, Rat failed morale and left too. 

My Paks killed 2 of the ISU-152s in the last round, forcing a morale check, my CiC, Knacker from LGs and 2nd FJ platoon command assaulted the IS2s killing one, forcing a morale ceck there as well, CiC rerolled for IS2s and ISUs made the morale, EDIT but no contest for Objective so 5-2 for medraw to the disappoinment of both us, still very good games all. 

Learned tons, and I really think the 2nd KT was needed, as I lost 1 in all of the games and they really made the sovs nervous ;) 

Think I really want to test those pzfaust trap teams, the 2iC assault was the highpoint :) 

with the KTs, all the focus was on them, barring the FW game, where my idiotic placement of the objective cost me dearly, still that particular game I destroyed 3/6 platoons, could've bombarded the katjushas to make morale, the last infantry was rolling morale, the KVs were rolling morale, so not badly for a newbie :) the winner got 3 wins and 16 points I think, I only lost 2 platoons in 3 games, none in the first, one fj platoon in the FW, and the mortars in the last.... 

Had the points revised making total of 2 wins 14 points and best axis, shared 2nd(most likely 3rd after sportmanship), but big smile for me :D

3 comments:

  1. Nice report and well done on finishing 2nd.

    Do you think the KT's were worth the points?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, good question really, I think it depends on how the opponent sees them. My first and last opponents had really problems with them. They were soviets so no smoke.
      My take is that one KT can be ignored, flanked, does not have enough ROF, no assault power. Team of 2 is another thing, it takes lot to kill one Tiger II, with 2 of them that's not enough :) Also, remember they are in 1 platoon so you can ambush with them or whatever you like, but it's 690 points on the table in one platoon.

      Delete
    2. Still, I'm thinking about going without them in future, not sure yet. But with 2 KTs and 2 Full FJ platoons on table you really don't have any easy kills... I lost 1 fj platoon and 1 short stummel during the 3 games...

      Delete

Visits