Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Tactica Jagdtiger Chapter 1 - Reluctant Veterans

Prolog


Hi all!

Now I have been a big fan of Jagdtigers for as many years that I've know these Kitty-Cats and once they were introduced into FoW in "Nuts!" I knew my time had come.

There are only two books which lets you to field these mighty Kitty-Cats on the fields of battle, in "Nuts!" and "Bridge at Remagen". In these books you have many ways to field the biggest FVs of the history, be that a schwere panzerjägerkompanie or infantry company with Jagdtigers as a support choice. Many of you have also read different articles on using and building lists with Jagdtigers in them.

As a fan and keen to help fellow gamers I want to bring to the light some formations and tactics of mine when using Jagdtigers in a schwere panzerjägerkompanie. Now there are three possible variants, reluctant veterans from "Nuts!", and confident veterans and reluctant trained versions from "Bridge at Remagen". I only have experience with reluctant veteran and reluctant trained versions of these so I'll stick with them here.

Further more I'll divide this tactica into two chapters so it'll be easier to follow.

This first part will concentrate on reluctant veteran version from "Nuts!".

Reluctant Veterans

 

For reluctant veterans I have two different lists. We're first going to take a look at the 1650 points list and how to use it. And finally we'll take a look on how to upgrade it to 1780 points.

As your force has been rated as Tank Company, you'll be attacking a lot. You'll need to have assets that can pull that off while still being able to defend your own end. Jagdtigers are a good force to pop dug in infantry and guns with their long range and breakthrough guns before your infantry assaults them. Just be careful with flanking TDs and tank forces as your Jagdtigers will get beaten badly from side shots. Take them out first or block their movement with your infantry.

In Nuts! you'll have to have HQ and 2 compulsory platoons with Jagdtigers. Minimum count for FVs in HQ and platoon is one so that gives us 3 Jagdtigers minimum.

HQ
Compulsory sPzJg HQ 1* Jagdtiger 345

Combat
Compulsory sPzJg platoon 1* Jagdtiger 345
Compulsory sPzJg platoon 1* Jagdtiger 345

This gives us a good start for long range anti tank work. But the cost is great, 1035 for three Jagdtigers, so we'll need to keep other platoons cheap.

Weapons
PzJg AA gun platoon 2* Wirbelwind 100
 
Next up is the weapons platoon. What I've though is we need some cover from all of those AOPs and tank hunting planes so I've invested into two Wirbelwinds for 100 points. This unit can also be used against light vehicles and infantry who are trying to harras my Big Cats. Just try to keep them out of the line of AT fire.

Support
Last we have our support options. You can have two infantry platoons in your force. These include Volksgrenadier Sturms, Volksgrenadier Schützens and Volks pioniers, both as confident veterans and reluctant traineds. And SS-panzergrenadiers and SS-panzerpioniers as fearless traineds.

You have one box for artillery. Here you have a wide range of options from 10.5cm leFH18s through 15cm NW41s to 15cm sFH18s. These come as infantry RT, CV or FT Volks troops or SS troops.

Then we have some more AA in a form of FT SS 3,7cm FlaK43s or 2cm Flakvierlings 38s. And last but not leas we have either FW190 or Sturmvogel as Sporadic Air Support option.

SS-Panzergrenadier platoon 225
SS-Panzerpionier platoon with supply truck 220
Volks Rocket Launcher Battery 3* 15cm NW41s 70

For my list I've gone for SS-Panzergrenadiers for their possibility to use as an assault force and thanks to their MGs for defensive work. In offence you'll need to be careful because your being only trained but in my view it's not that bad on defence.

For my second infantry platoon I've gone for SS-Panzerpioniers with a supply truck. This gives me barbed wire or a minefield and an option for flamethrowers which are always handy if needing to attack.

Last I've filled my list up with some ever usefull nebelwerfers. These are to block LoS from enemy AT assets or some other threats or to rain HE shells into the mids of infantry.


That's it, 1650 points on a nose and 6 platoons.

Up to 1780 points
So what would I change to 1780 points. Not much as with 130 points more to use I'd not take a one full platoon as that'd take me to 7 platoons which is not preferred with this list.

I'd either think about upgrading SS-Panzerpionier platoon to CV Volks pionier platoon to have more assaulting bodies. This would then come my primary assault force.

Second upgrade would be SS-Panzergrenadiers to be upgraded into CV Volksgrenadier Sturm platoon. They'd be my close support unit for Jagdtigers with their assault rifles and panzerfausts.


And here we have 1780 points.

Hope you like it.

In Chapter 2 we'll take a look at reluctant trained version of 512. Schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits